Episode 95 is all about prenups, the real cost of divorce, estate planning and more.
Genoveva Meza-Talbott has been a practicing attorney in Southern California since 2003. In 2018, she founded Meza Talbott Law, a family law and estate planning firm. She is also the founder of www.TheLawUnbundled.com, an online platform for delivery of unbundled family law legal services.
Genoveva received a J.D. from the University of Southern California Gould School of Law & a B.A. from the University of California, Los Angeles, where she majored in Political Science and minored in French. She is admitted to the State Bar of California and the United States District Court, Central District of California.
Episode 95 Highlights:
- The real life implications of marriage—Yes, marriage is all about the love. But did you know that once you get married, you essentially become one person in the eyes of the law? Listen to hear what Genoveva means by this and what you can do to prepare (hint: it’s called a prenup and it’s not a bad thing!)
- The conversations you should have with your partner, before marriage—We’ve talked about this in previous episodes (like on Episode 69 with Gay Husbands on FIRE), but some of these conversations include: relationship with bills, knowing your partner’s credit score, and understanding each other’s money habits.
- The difference between prenups and postnups.
- Breaking down the different ways to prepare around death—In many families of color, even bringing up this topic could be considered taboo. We get it. But this is estate planning, and it’s key. Genoveva understands it this way: estate planning communicates that we love those around us. Enough to take care of our own things ahead of time.
- How to find a reputable attorney—While Genoveva is a Family Law attorney, her advice holds up for any attorney. Use referrals or contact your local attorney state bar. Listen to the full episode to find out why those billboards advertising cheap legal services may not actually serve you well in the long run.
This episode covers so much of what you don’t want to ask about; we got you, always. You’ll want to take out your pen and paper for this one!
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired and #staypoderosa ✨
WANT TO KICKSTART YOUR FINANCIAL JOURNEY?
Check out these YQD™ Partners:
BetterHelp—Professional Support When You Need It, At The Fraction Of The Cost Of In-Person Therapy. Get 10% off your first month by using our link, BetterHelp.com/dinero!
Gentreo—Helps you create the important documents you need for official estate planning, including your Will, Power of Attorney, and more.