Episode 77 is about how to shift your money mindset, build your net-worth in alignment with your Self, and crush your money goals as a woman of color.
Bernadette Joy is a Filipina Financial Rockstar & Founder & CEO of CRUSH Your Money Goals®, a financial education and media company busting the myths of traditional personal finance to teachyou how to pay off debt, save for what matters and build real wealth [not fake Instagram rich].
Bernadette Joy and her husband went from 6 figures in debt to working towards their first $1M of net worth. Overwhelmed and ignored by traditional finance, she learned not just to talk the talk. She walks the walk, having paid off over $300,000 of debt in three years.
Dubbed her “magic recipe” by Good Morning America, she’s shared her trademarked five-step Crush Your Money Goals® method as a contributor for CNBC, TIME, and multiple TV and podcast shows.
When she’s not teaching, find her singing karaoke, delving into DIY projects, and eating way too much chocolate with her husband AJ.
Episode 77 Highlights:
- Identifying why we spend money—When Bernadette was finally able to understand why she spent money, she was able to identify her trigger points and work on moving past them. Next time you shop outside of your budget or your plan, it might be useful to reflect on why you wanted to spend money.
- Developing a positive money mindset—Many of Bernadette’s students in her masterclass pointed to their parents or families as reasons behind their scarcity mindset. When working with women of color, this is something personal finance educators often see. It is through no fault of one’s own, but it does become our responsibility to unlearn these mindsets in order to reach our goals fully.
- The highs and lows of debt-payoff journeys—Well, to be clear, there aren’t many highs during a debt payoff journey. But Bernadette built motivation to continue on in her journey; hint, it was through one of these debt pay off strategies! Bernadette also talks about the difficulty parts of her debt payoff journey, including what she had to cut out, how it felt to adjust to this new lifestyle, and what she would have done differently.
- Investing while continuing to pay off debt—While some personal financed creators promote the practice of continuing to invest while you pay off debt, Bernadette made the decision to put a pause. Listen for her full story, but know this: she committed to this decision knowing it would require her to build up strong discipline during debt payoff and after, as she started to invest again. Make sure to read her full take on this decision in this feature.
- Balancing self-worth with net-worth—This was one of our FAVORITE parts of the episode. Last week, Jamila Souffrant reminded us to make sure our financial independence journey didn’t make us miserable. Similarly, Bernadette has shaped her investing practices around things she actually enjoys AND feels good about contributing to. Being intentional about how we build our net-worth requires us to consider our self-worth and how we view ourselves. Listen to find out what she primarily invests in (it’s not stocks!) and why she continues to work on her money mindset, despite already having a six-figure net-worth.
We love this episode because Bernadette doesn’t talk about personal finance through the lens of the traditional industry. She talks about it through the lens of a woman of color, women who don’t come from privilege. This is the kind of personal finance advice we want to follow. Listen to episode 77 on your favorite streaming platform and start to crush your money goals today!
Episode 77 is sponsored by my new digital course, The Ultimate Side Hustle Starter Kit!
After 8 years of teaching myself how to build online side hustles that earn income passively, my food blog earns over $60,000 a year, passively! Since then, I’ve grown my side hustles, and now have a network of 10 side hustles that earn over $100,000 a year! This is in addition to my 9-5 income. And guess what? YOU CAN DO THIS TOO!
So…are you ready for more in your life? Join now!
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired and #staypoderosa ✨
WANT TO KICKSTART YOUR FINANCIAL JOURNEY?
Check out these YQD™ Partners:
BetterHelp – Professional Support When You Need It, At The Fraction Of The Cost Of In-Person Therapy. Get 10% off your first month!
M1 Finance – investing, borrowing, and cash management in one easy-to-use platform. Build a portfolio of stocks and ETFs for free!