Episode 69 is all about how one queer, married couple is pursuing FIRE while earning different salaries. Listen to this episode to hear about a journey to FI/RE, love and money, and a six-figure debt payoff.
For Episode 69, we have G and J, the anonymous married couple behind Gay Husbands on FIRE.
This millennial couple is in their early 30s, living in NYC, and planning for a life of financial independence. J is originally from Colorado and G is originally from Colombia. They met in Philadelphia in 2013 and have been living together since 2015. They’re DINKs (double income no kids) on a journey to reach FIRE within the next decade!
You can follow their journey on Instagram.
Episode 69 Highlights:
- Inheriting a money mindset based on your country of residence—While G does not identify as having been poor while growing up, he also does not identify as having been raised in a financially privileged home. Some of this is tied to the larger conditions his home country of Colombia was facing. This is particularly relevant for immigrant individuals pursuing FIRE in a country that values consumerism, entrepreneurship, and individualism, which are very specific to American culture.
- Talking about money in new relationships—J and G did NOT wait to start talking about money. Part of the reason for this was G’s massive amount of student debt that was looming over him. Talking about money openly through the start of their relationship made it so that they both understand where each of them was coming from, financially and priority-wise.
- Finances when you move in with your partner—It’s one thing to talk about money when you’re at the start of your relationship. It’s a completely different thing to talk about finances once you start living together. J and G talk about the different things they tried before they got to the system they use now, where they comingle their assets.
- Paying off debt from a place of fear—After going to law school and accruing a six-figure debt, G carried constant anxiety with him. While he was able to secure a high-paying job thanks to his law degree, he was making little progress towards his debt because of his spending. Eventually, he reached a point where he had to act upon it and they became debt free in 2016, before even discovering FIRE
- Their rabbit hole towards FIRE—They talk the books they read, what they learned, what shocked them, their why and what it felt like to save their first $100K.
This is the episode to listen to if you’ve ever had questions about how to talk dinero with your partner or how to create a life together with someone who has a different salary than you do. Check it out!
Loving this episode? Leave us a review if you’re listening on Apple podcasts & be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired & #staypoderosa ✨💎
WANT TO KICKSTART YOUR FINANCIAL JOURNEY?
Download our FREE 14-page guide covering all the topics you need to start making your dinero moves. Visit here. From money mindset, to budget basics, we’ve got you covered.
This episode is powered by BetterHelp – Professional Support When You Need It, At The Fraction Of The Cost Of In-Person Therapy. Get 10% off your first month just for Yo Quiero Dinero listeners, just use the code “DINERO” at checkout!
Check out these Yo Quiero Dinero Partners to accelerate your investing goals!
M1 Finance – investing, borrowing, and cash management in one easy-to-use platform. Build a portfolio of stocks and ETFs for free!
Public – Join the investing social network and start trading with any amount of money, commission-free.
SoFi Invest – Fund an Active Investing account with $1,000 or more, and you’ll get $50 in free stock.
Fundrise – Invest in REITs & earn passive real estate income! Have your advisory fees waived for 90 days.
Rocket Dollar – Invest in any asset class allowed by the IRS. Invest securely and easily in Real Estate, Startups, and more.
New Street Advisors Group – a commission free, fee-only fiduciary Registered Investment Advisor (RIA). Committed to transparent financial planning, portfolio management and investment advisory services.
Scholar Raise – Open a 529 College Savings Plan in minutes and start saving for your child’s future college education.