Episode 38 of the Yo Quiero Dinero Podcast features Sarah Farzam, the founder and CEO of Bilingual Birdies, a company which encourages cross-cultural awareness through foreign language and live music curriculum.
Sarah Farzam is the founder and CEO of Bilingual Birdies. She’s half Mexican and half Iranian and grew up in LA. Sarah started Bilingual Birdies in NYC in 2007 with three students and has grown it to a 21 city operation across the US, Canada, and Australia where bilingual educators license the program to start their own Bilingual Birdies businesses to share their languages and culture with kids while earning money. Her intention with her work in Bilingual Birdies is to create a space where children can increase their cross-cultural awareness and celebrate diversity.
Sarah was so real about her entrepreneurial journey, which, let us tell you, was NOT an easy one. Being an entrepreneur is never easy, but when you’re a woman of color that doesn’t come from money, it’s much harder for a whole set of other reasons.
Episode 38 Highlights:
- Why she decided to create a business that celebrated and honored diversity
- How her upbringing planted the seeds for an entrepreneurial drive
- The challenges of those first few months (more like YEARS) as you launch your business
- Being a first generation entrepreneur and feeling you’re not good enough (have you noticed this pattern among many of our guests? No estan solas!)
- Building and nurturing an entrepreneurial mindset as a woman of color
We love sharing stories of women of color who are building amazing businesses. Everyone, including Sarah, has said it was worth it and they all gush when talking about their biz. But no one said it was easy, especially as a woman of color. Sarah gives some great advice and shares the mantras that have pushed her through 13 years (!!!) of her biz.
Listen to learn what they are and let us know if you’re going to try to use them too!
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired and #staypoderosa ✨
WANT TO KICKSTART YOUR FINANCIAL JOURNEY?
Check out these YQD™ Partners:
BetterHelp—Professional Support When You Need It, At The Fraction Of The Cost Of In-Person Therapy. Get 10% off your first month!