Episode 252 features Giovanna “Gigi” Gonzalez of The First Gen Mentor. We talk about her new book, Cultura and Cash, and how your cultura affects your dinero. Listen now!
Giovanna “Gigi” Gonzalez is a TikTok influencer, financial educator, and author of Cultura and Cash. During The Great Resignation, she quit her 10 year corporate career to pursue her true passion: teaching financial literacy to young adults.
Gigi teaches personal finance and career navigation for First Gen at various organizations and on her TikTok account @thefirstgenmentor. She was named 40 under 40 by the Hispanic Alliance for Career Enhancement, “Latinx to Watch” by Hispanic Executive Magazine and Top 25 Creator by Fast Company.
In this week’s conversation, we sat down with Gigi about her recently launched book, Cultura and Cash. Gigi shares her journey of writing and publishing the book, including the challenges she faced in the traditional publishing industry and her decision to go with hybrid publishing. She discusses the target audience for the book and the unique money challenges faced by Latinas.
Gigi also highlights the importance of money mindset and introduces the First Gen Five framework, which focuses on emergency funds, budgeting, debt payoff, building credit, and long-term investing. We leave you with information on where to get her book and additional free resources for our audience!
Episode 252 Takeaways:
- Writing and publishing a book can be a challenging process, especially for underrepresented authors.
- Latinas face unique money challenges due to cultural expectations and the clash between individualistic and family-oriented approaches to money.
- Developing a healthy money mindset is crucial for financial success.
- The First Gen Five framework prioritizes emergency funds, budgeting, debt payoff, building credit, and long-term investing.
- Setting financial boundaries with family members is important to maintain personal financial stability.
- Cultura and Cash has received positive reception and endorsements from influential figures.
- The book is available for purchase online, and readers can also access a free guide on talking to parents about retirement.
- 00:00 – Introduction and Book Launch
- 01:19 – Gigi’s Background and Inspiration for the Book
- 04:36 – Challenges of Writing and Publishing a Book
- 10:30 – Traditional Publishing vs. Hybrid Publishing
- 12:22 – Target Audience and Impact of the Book
- 14:34 – Unique Money Challenges for Latinas
- 16:47 – The Importance of Money Mindset
- 19:57 – The First-Gen Five Framework
- 22:40 – Navigating Family Finances and Boundaries
- 28:39 – Reception and Endorsements
On behalf of the Yo Quiero Dinero® community, we want to send a huge congratulations to Gigi for writing and publishing her new book!
2024 is such an incredible year to be Latina in the money space. We saw glimpses of what was possible back in 2020 when the world started waking up to the idea that unique perspectives are in fact important and can make an impact.
Shout out to Gigi because she is an incredible testament of the community that she’s built, the work that she’s done and the legacy she’s leaving behind for our comunidads!
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired & #staypoderosa ✨💎
Financially Lit! offers you culturally relevant and relatable personal finance advice that will allow you to finally feel seen, heard, and understood. Whether it’s the guilt you feel from being the first person to “make it” while members of your family are still struggling, or the way financial trauma manifests itself in negative and limiting beliefs around money, Jannese Torres is here to guide you through it all.
With the warmth and no-nonsense wisdom of someone who’s been there before, Financially Lit! will teach you how to:
- Set boundaries with your dinero
- Create and pass on generational wealth
- Diversify and increase your income
- Protect yourself from financial abuse
- Pursue financial independence
- Navigate the complicated relationship between amor and money
- Invest like a white dude—or better!
- And so much more!
With Financially Lit! at your side, you’ll harness the powerful ways money can be used to create the life of your dreams, and be empowered to step into financial freedom. Pre-order today @ financiallylitbook.com!
Get our exclusive Yo Quiero Dinero® merchandise available now!
WANT TO KICKSTART YOUR FINANCIAL JOURNEY?
Download our FREE 14-page guide covering all the topics you need to start making your dinero moves. From money mindset, to budget basics, we’ve got you covered.