Episode 220 talks about how to recover from money mistakes, featuring Haley & Justin Brown-Woods. Listen now!
Haley and Justin Brown-Woods are a married, millennial couple that began their debt-free journey in the Fall of 2019. After blowing through a $600,000 lawsuit payout and racking up over $220,000 worth of debt in 3½ years, they got serious about changing the narrative they had created for their lives. Within 18 months, they had paid off over $130,000 of debt and restarted their wealth journey.
During this period, they began their podcast Price of Avocado Toast. Their focus has been on having open and honest money conversations with others to help remove the stigmas and shame around finances. The hope is that these conversations enlighten the younger versions of themselves and save them from the pitfalls Haley and Justin fell into.
Now, over 100,000+ downloads later, Haley is a successful financial coach who has helped her clients pay off over $600k of debt. Justin is a public school educator, and their family is working towards generational wealth building and a future of outrageous generosity.
Episode 220 Highlights:
- How their podcast and platform got started from blowing through a 6-figure lawsuit payout
- Getting past mental roadblocks in order to make changes to getting good with your finances
- Steps they took in order to pay for over $130k worth of debt
- Why they’re no longer fans of Dave Ramsey’s stance in the personal finance space
- Tips on how to get a handle on your own debt situation(s)
- Mental health narratives that come up while paying off debt
- Their thought process around starting a family while still having debt
- How to navigate having conversations around money as couples
- And more!
Financial mistakes can affect anyone, mi gente. We understand that managing your money can be complicated, especially if you don’t have the toolkit or knowledge to do so. If you find yourself in a similar situation like Hayley & Justin were in, we know this episode will give you hope to bounce back from your own financial challenges. We appreciate them for coming onto the platform to share their story with our audience. Remember that financial resilience is attainable—and past mistakes don’t need to stick with you forever!
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired and #staypoderosa ✨
Watch episode 220 on our YouTube channel! Subscribe here.
WANT TO KICKSTART YOUR FINANCIAL JOURNEY?