Episode 177 is all about how to be a first-gen wealth builder, featuring Jose Hernandez of Financial University. Listen now!
Jose is a financial educator and the founder of Financial University, a global financial education company with the mission of providing others with the financial literacy necessary to build long-term wealth and achieve financial independence. As a first-generation immigrant, Jose learned first-hand the importance of money and the challenges that can come from a lack of financial literacy.
Episode 177 Highlights:
- What growing up was like before stepping into the entrepreneurial life—Jose takes us on the journey of what life was like growing up in a low-income household as a first-generation immigrant from Venezuela. From being the first in his family to go to college, to landing an athletic scholarship through baseball, to working as a financial advisor for a wealthy firm, Jose tells us how it all came to be before he took the leap into entrepreneurship.
- Building a business from scratch—Listen to how Jose shares how he created his own business after walking away from the corporate world, what he learned along the way, and some advice for listeners to lean in on if you find yourself in a similar position.
- Mindset shifts in order to become a successful investor—In the Latinx community, there are so many myths and cultural baggage when it comes to investing and how those narratives stop us from starting. Listen as Jose shares some of the most common reasons why so many of us in the world back away from investing, how to assess your personal risk tolerance when it comes to investing & how to work through these mindset roadblocks.
- Tips on how to get started—Jose shares some advice on how to get started in the world of investing, especially if you don’t have that much money to throw into the market and are unsure of where to start. You might wanna take notes, mi gente! Lots of gems are dropped in this episode!💎
- Different types of investment accounts—Jose gives some in-depth information on different types of investment accounts for 9-5ers, solopreneurs, investing for the next generation & tips on investing for our aging parents. Knowing what’s out there is so important to get your financial goals together. Pen & paper, people!📝
- And more!
We want to thank Jose for coming onto the show and breaking down what it actually takes to be an investor and build that generational wealth in a way that’s easy to understand & digest. If there’s anything we ask that you take away from this week’s episode, it’s this: EVERYTHING STARTS IN THE MIND🧠.
Once you decide that building wealth (or starting that business, walking away from that toxic relationship, or landing that dream job) is something you want to take seriously and start working towards, it’s a matter of building a plan, putting it in place and taking action every single day. We love to see more Latino men in the personal finance space spreading this type of knowledge to la comunidad, so gracias to Jose for paving the way for generations to come!💸
Watch the full interview on our YouTube channel! Subscribe here.
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired and #staypoderosa ✨
Get our exclusive Yo Quiero Dinero® merchandise available now!
WANT TO KICKSTART YOUR FINANCIAL JOURNEY?
Check out these YQD™ Partners:
Novo — Novo is a powerfully simple business banking platform with no hidden fees built for small business owners.
The Motley Fool — Our favorite research tool for individual stock investors. Join now for ONLY $99 for one year – that’s just $1.90 a week!