Episode 127 is everything you need to know about Estate Planning featuring Ifeoma Ibekwe of Ifeoma Ibekwe Law, PLLC
Ifeoma Ibekwe is an estate planning attorney evangelist for intergenerational wealth transfer and legacy building with effective wills and trusts. She activates intentional women so they can take agency over their lives and build impactful legacies.
As a Black businesswoman and attorney, she is not your garden-variety estate planning attorney. She wishes to provide services to those who her area of the law has historically ignored. Being a unicorn does not mean she only serves people of color and/or women, but it does mean she actively seeks to serve this demographic.
- How life was like growing up around money—In many communities of color, we often see the same narrative where our families struggled with money and grew up in poverty. But for Iffy, that wasn’t the case. Find out how even with the differences in her story growing up paints the same picture of money NOT being something that was talked about in our childhood.
- What inspired her to become an estate planning attorney—Before entering the world of estate planning, Iffy shares her story on what she did beforehand and the journey that led her to where she is today.
- The definition of what estate planning actually means—Often times, the idea of estate planning strikes fear because many people automatically assume of death. Iffy breaks this down in an easy-to-understand way that anyone can follow along to and how incredibly important it is to have for yourself. Y’all…if you’re at least 18 years old, you need an estate plan.
- What documents should be in your estate plan?—There is a lot of legal jargon that can make people feel like estate planning is way too complicated and therefore don’t deal with it. Iffy breaks down the essential aspects of an estate plan. Get your paper and pencils out, y’all! You’re going to want to take some serious notes during this episode.
- The importance of having these type of conversations with our loved ones—When it comes to estate planning, the conversations we need to have with our loved ones can be awkward AF. Honestly…who wants to talk about death while you’re still living? Iffy gives us advice on how to delicately have these conversations with the people who matter the most in a way that will serve us and not hurt us.
- Estate planning is not so commonly talked about, especially in our communities—Many of us feel like we need to know everything and understand all the terminology of estate planning in order to get it done and that can cause us to feel stressed out. Iffy shares some tips on how important it is to work with someone who is seasoned in this area and how they can help ease the burden off of you.
- Tips on how to build wealth for the next generation—Iffy lets us know what you can do in order to set up success and create generational wealth for the children in our lives.
- Estate planning for those who don’t have children—We loved this part of the conversation with Iffy as she breaks down some ways you can protect your money when you don’t have children to pass it down to. Take a listen to find out how!
- And so much more!
The conversation we had with Iffy was so informative and we learned SO much talking with her. She covered so many areas in this world of estate planning that we know is going to help you with making decisions in your own life. Iffy, thank you so much for being such a powerhouse in our community!
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired and #staypoderosa ✨