If building generational wealth is something on your to-do list for 2022 and beyond, then episode 126 is exactly what you need to hear, featuring Kevin L. Matthews II of Building Bread!
Kevin L. Matthews II is a #1 bestselling author and former financial advisor. He has helped hundreds of individuals plan for their retirement in addition to managing more than $140 million in assets during his advisory career. By 2017, he was named one of the Top 100 Most Influential Financial Advisors by Investopedia.
Kevin launched BuildingBread in 2010, to inspire millennials to set, simplify and achieve any financial goal. Kevin regularly speaks to young adults across the country and has been featured in several media publications and productions including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Forbes, Black Enterprise, and many others.
Kevin served as the Director of Consumer Information for New York City’s Office of Financial Empowerment where he oversaw strategic initiatives and hosted BuildingBread with Kevin Matthews on WHCR 90.3 FM.
Kevin holds a bachelor’s degree in Economics from Hampton University, a certificate in financial planning from Northwestern University and a certificate in disruptive strategy from Harvard Business School. In 2020, he graduated from the University of Texas at Austin’s McCombs School of Business with a Master’s in Technology Commercialization (MSTC).
- The beginning origins of his money story—Like many of us in black & brown communities, money was not a subject our parents and other family members talked to us about growing up. Listen to how that affected Kevin from childhood into adulthood.
- Limiting beliefs around investing in *our* community—Let’s be honest for a minute, y’all…the investing world is predominantly filled with old, white men. That’s a whole fact…BUT‼️ that shouldn’t deter US from breaking through that barrier and building generational wealth💸Check out some of the major lessons Kevin took from learning about investing and building that wealth.
- How he got into investing—Kevin shares the journey he followed that brought him into the world of investing…surprisingly enough, it wasn’t the stock market that drew him in!
- Turning your passion into your purpose—A lot of our listeners are aspiring entrepreneurs who want to leave the corporate world to follow their dreams and become their own boss while also doing something that truly serves them. Listen to the advice Kevin gives for anyone who is currently on that journey or even has a small inkling of wanting to pursue that goal.
- What does generational wealth actually mean and how can we achieve that?—Kevin explains this in an easy-to-understand way that truly anyone can learn about and work towards! There is a huge difference between “getting rich” and “building wealth”.
- The importance of having a 401K and IRA account(s)—A word of advice, y’all: if you truly want to build generational wealth, PLEASE open up these accounts. LISTEN👏TO👏US!
- Building wealth for your children—PARENTS!!! AUNTIES!!! UNCLES!!! EVERYONE!!! LISTEN UP!!! Kevin drops some major gems💎for y’all to take down and apply to your lives! We need to set the example for the children in our lives to know and understand the power and importance of money. They didn’t teach us this in school when we were growing up, so now it’s OUR turn to pass down the knowledge to the children…the FUTURE! Pencils and paper, out! We’re taking y’all to school with this one!
- Uncomfortable conversations around money with family—Yes, it’s awkward AF talking about money with your family. Yes, it’s uncomfortable AF talking about living wills and funeral planning. Yes, money is a sensitive AF topic to talk about with our loved ones. But guess what, y’all. IT NEEDS TO BE TALKED ABOUT! Kevin shares an awkward AF story of his own with his family that actually turned out to be super beneficial to learn from.
- It is so important to build wealth INDEPENDENTLY as woman—For a lot of women, money is a “male” thing…it’s up to the men in their lives to manage their money……😐……Kevin shares some words of encouragement for why it is so damn important for women to build wealth on their own…Y’all, we aren’t in the 1940’s and 1950’s anymore…let’s cut the umbilical cord and BO$$ TF UP!
- And so much more!
The conversation we had with Kevin was so f*cking EPIC! We love everything he is doing and what he stands for. We cannot wait to see what the future holds for him!
Let this episode be the one you need to find the motivation to pursue your own dreams and build a LEGACY!
We need more people who look like US (BIPOC) paving the way for the future! It’s OUR TIME TO SHINE💎 Thank you for an incredible episode, Kevin!
Watch the full interview on our YouTube Channel below!
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired and #staypoderosa ✨