Episode 114 is all about how to become a first generation investor, featuring Simran and Sonya of Girls That Invest.
Simran & Sonya are 2 millennial investors who are extremely passionate about all things investing and personal finance. With only 20-30% of women investing in stocks and bridging the wealth gap, Simran & Sonya have made it their personal mission to make sure young women are represented in the financial media space (please no more news articles on how to save $10 on groceries!)
Simran & Sonya love creating investing education that is inviting and enjoyable to consume. Since launching their podcast, “Girls That Invest”, which breaks down the intimidating and not-so-well-taught world of investing and growing wealth (minus the jargon), they have become the largest investing/stock market podcast for women worldwide!
You can follow Simran & Sonya on Instagram.
Episode 114 Highlights:
- Immigrants parents & the conversation around $$—Many times in our communities (POC), money is not a subject that is talked about, especially with our parents. We don’t want to share that personal information and we also don’t want to come off as being “nosey”. Listen to how that shaped the way Simran & Sonya looked at money from childhood to adulthood. It wasn’t until after their 20 year friendship that they felt comfortable enough around each other to talk about money! Can you relate?
- The conversation that started their investing journey—Hint: it wasn’t a quick, 5 minute convo!
- How they first learned about investing—There is a lack of representation of investing in our community. We did a Google search of the world’s greatest investors and this is what popped up. Notice any similarities? (insert eye roll emoji🙄). We don’t see people who look like US in the world of investing. It’s something that is (sadly) still hard to identify. This is why we have this platform.
This is why Yo Quiero Dinero™ was created.
- The intimidation factor around investing—So many times, people in our communities tend to stray away from investing. You may feel it’s hard to understand. Information overload can become overwhelming for a newbie investor. Trying to decipher different terms can make you feel like you don’t know WTF they’re talking about. The conversation we had with Simran & Sonya breaks this down in a way that anyone can understand the power of investing.
- Initial steps they took to actually become an investor after learning about it—ANYONE CAN BE AN INVESTOR!!! Simran & Sonya didn’t allow the abundance of information stop them from being a part of this lifestyle. This is a generalization, but something they noticed is that female investors (from what we’ve seen in the community), want to understand it all and then jump into it (investing), whereas our male counterparts tend to jump straight into it and then learn on the go. Check out the similarities between both Simran & Sonya’s stories into investing.
- The blueprint they followed to actually become investors—A lot of first time investors stop themselves from becoming investors because of the word “but”;
“I want to invest in the stock market but I’m scared to lose money.”
Listen to how Simran & Sonya put this into a perspective so you can be informed in the decisions you make while also understanding the risks involved. There isn’t one “right path” that you can follow when it comes to investing. Personal finance is just that…personal and tailored to you and your needs.
- WTF is a ‘fractional share’!?—Sonya & Simran break down some key investing terms, in an easy way to understand so you can invest like a BO$$💰Like we said before, you don’t need a huge amount of money to invest!
- Tips on when you should start investing—Newbie investors have the tendency to think that you can only start investing when you’re debt free. That’s another myst we’re busting! Take into consideration the tips and tricks these 2 besties break down in order to begin your own investing journey, even if you have debt!
- Favorite resources to learn from investing—From podcasts to hard cover books, Simran and Sonya share who and what they feel is the best bits of information on investing. With access to the Internet 24/7 in today’s world, there is no barrier to access of information on how to become a bad-ass investor.
- & so much more!
Episode 114 is hella informative for newbie investors! And that’s what’s most important, especially in our communities. We want to spread helpful and useful information. We’re so glad that Simran & Sonya are apart of this community of personal finance; empowering us to not be intimidated with investing and realizing that it’s an important wealth building tool that has been used by so many other communities to create generational wealth and financial freedom. If there is one thing we want you to take away from this episode, it’s knowing that investing is something that we can harness. Thank you for your insight on this topic, Simran and Sonya!💎🤑
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired and #staypoderosa ✨
Want to kickstart your financial journey?
Download our free 14-page guide covering all the topics you need to start making your dinero moves, just visit yoquierodineropodcast.com/start. From money mindset, to budget basics, we’ve got you covered.
Partners mentioned in this episode:
Ellevest—Unleash your financial power with a customized, goals-based approach in one beautiful platform. Created for women and designed by women.
M1 Finance—Investing, borrowing, and cash management in one easy-to-use platform. Build a portfolio of stocks and ETFs for free!
BetterHelp—Professional Support When You Need It, At The Fraction Of The Cost Of In-Person Therapy. Get 10% off your first month!
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/yoquierodinero/support