Episode 107 is all about working smarter, not harder in your business, featuring Asha Wilkerson, business coach & attorney. Listen now wherever you stream podcasts!
Asha Wilkerson, Esq. takes great pride in working with and teaching BIPOC entrepreneurs about business formation, contract creation, and liability reduction. She is committed to helping entrepreneurs of color not only start businesses, but also stay in business for years to come. She also enjoys training leaders in the areas diversity and leadership and she has a particular affinity for working with non-profit and faith-based organizations.
In addition to practicing law, she is a full-time professor and Department Chair of the Legal Studies Program at American River College in Sacramento. Through her paralegal program, she has implemented a monthly record expungement clinic that assists participants in clearing past criminal records. So far, her clinic has served over 200 participants in just one year.
California Lawyer Magazine has named Asha Wilkerson a Super Lawyer Rising Star for the past 6 years. In January 2020, she received a social justice award from the Sacramento Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild and received the Attorney of the Year award from the Wiley Manuel Bar Association in Sacramento in August 2019. She was also honored with a human rights award from Chans Altenativ/Alternative Chance, a non-profit organization dedicated to advocating on the behalf of Haitian criminal deportees, the Power 40 Award from Oakland’s Allen Temple Baptist Church for being an influential young adult leader, and a Pro Bono award for her work with the AIDS Legal Referral Panel in San Francisco.
Asha received a B.A. in English (with a Minor in Communications) from Santa Clara University, received her law degree from the University of California, Hastings, and earned a Masters in Business Administration at California State University, East Bay.
When out of the office, Asha enjoys traveling, reading, dancing to Cuban salsa, and throwing parties. She is conversational in Spanish, Portuguese, and Haitian Creole with plans to tackle American Sign Language and French next.
Episode 107 Highlights:
- The journey to becoming an attorney—Coming from a line of Civil Rights activists (you’ll never guess what iconic activist her grandfather worked alongside with!), the idea of standing up for people and being the voice for the voiceless was a huge part of her “why” and what she’s most passionate about.
- Teaching entrepreneurs about law & business—Listen to how Asha turned her skill set into something that served her purpose. A lot of times, people get stuck in an idea that there’s “only one way to do something” or “one way to use your skills” and that’s the furthest thing from the truth!
- Transitioning from being a lawyer to a teacher to running her own business!—Making these changes can be very overwhelming to a lot of people. Listen to how Asha put together a method to overcome this hurdle so many entrepreneurs experience themselves.
- Being open to the way things in life come towards you and setting your intention—Asha drops some gems in this episode, y’all! Find out the steps she took on her own journey.
- The limiting beliefs she’s encountered along the way and how to overcome them—IMPOSTER SYNDROME is a recurring theme many entrepreneurs experience when leveling up in their business ventures.
- Self care + entrepreneurship—Asha learned how to say no to things that didn’t serve her or caused burn out (and not feeling guilty about it!)
- What advice she has for getting off of the fence & starting your own business—Asha gives some great tips on how to achieve this for yourself!
Until next time, stay empowered, stay inspired and #staypoderosa ✨
WANT TO KICKSTART YOUR FINANCIAL JOURNEY?
Check out these YQD™ Partners:
BetterHelp– Professional Support When You Need It, At The Fraction Of The Cost Of In-Person Therapy. Get 10% off your first month!
Fiverr – Connects businesses with freelancers offering digital services in 300+ categories, starting at just $5!