All December, we’ll be replaying podcast episodes about FI/RE. This week’s episode—and our final episode in our series—is episode 64, with Natalie Torres-Haddad of Financially Savvy in 20 Minutes, a platform dedicated to advocating for mental and financial health and helping those in debt work towards financial independence.
Episode 64, REPLAY, of the Yo Quiero Dinero podcast features Natalie Torres-Haddad, MPA, AWA, from Financially Savvy in 20 Minutes. Natalie is a two time TEDx Speaker known for her talks “The Foreign Language of Financial Literacy” and “The Confidence Gap.” She is an international Award-Winning Author and the bilingual podcast host of @financiallysavvyin20minutes. She is also a keynote speaker and educator. After her challenges with student debt led her to battle with depression, Natalie felt inspired to advocate for mental and financial health to be taught in all schools and work environments. What a vision! Her activities have been featured in Forbes, The Huffington Post & The LA Times.
We chose Episode 64 with Natalie as our final episode in our December series of FI/RE for one key reason: our financial health is intimately paired with our mental health, and vice versa. When our wallets aren’t doing well, chances are neither is our mental health. Because when you’re first-gen (be that a student, wealth-builder, or immigrant), our financial background may not have been the most stable. That means that now, as adults, we tend to operate and view our finances from a scarcity mindset.
2020 probably brought on a lot of stress for first-gens. This year was a rollercoaster. So this week, Yo Quiero Dinero wants to help you re-center yourself and reflect on the state of your mental health as we enter a new year. Because if your headspace is not where it needs to be, your dinero moves will be negatively impacted.
In Episode 64, Natalie talked:
- The experiences of being a first-gen in spaces like education, the workplace, and among family—our experiences are unique, and sometimes by virtue of being first-gen, we may be the only one in the room coming from our background. In these spaces, we’re forced to 1) grow up or 2) learn quickly.
- The PTSD that can come from growing up in divested, minority communities—Natalie grew up in LA during the LA riots. Experiencing divestment this deep leaves an impact on you.
- The severe impact our financial lives can have on our overall well-being, and how this can impact people at any age—this is rooted in our scarcity mindset.
- Our misinterpretation of the word “humble”—women of color often diminish what we have accomplished and the challenges we have overcome to get to where we are, but it’s because we are raised to think that we need to be calladas, to be quiet about our successes for the sake of others.
- The difficulties in becoming profitable as a creator and entrepreneur. Here, Natalie is talking specifically about women of color who are made to feel bad for charging for their services and expertise.
This podcast is all about sharing stories like Natalie’s—stories and experiences that maybe a lot of us can relate to, but feel like we are the only ones to be experiencing. Thank you for your honesty, Natalie!
YQD + Better Help
This episode is powered by BetterHelp – Professional Support When You Need It, At The Fraction Of The Cost Of In-Person Therapy. Get 10% off your first month just for Yo Quiero Dinero listeners, just use the code “dinero” at checkout!
Check out these Yo Quiero Dinero Partners to accelerate your investing goals!
SoFi Invest – Fund an Active Investing account with $1,000 or more, and you’ll get $50 in free stock!
Public – Investing meets social media. Start trading with any amount of money, commission-free and chat with other investors about their moves today!
Webull– Trade stocks, options, ETFs, all commission-free, $0 minimum deposit. Now open an account, get a free stock.
Roofstock – Earn passive income by purchasing rental homes with tenants.
Fundrise – Invest in REITs & earn passive real estate income! Have your advisory fees waived for 90 days.
Rocket Dollar – Rocket Dollar account holders have the power to invest in any asset class allowed by the IRS. Invest securely and easily in Real Estate, Startups, and more. Open a Self-Directed Solo 401(k) or Self-Directed IRA with Rocket Dollar and put your money to work.
New Street Advisors Group – a commission free, fee-only fiduciary Registered Investment Advisor (RIA). Their mission is to provide transparent financial planning, portfolio management and investment advisory services to their clients. Check out our episode with their lead advisor, Delano Saporu!