Episode 84 is about pursuing financial independence and making the journey worthwhile. Listen to hear how Jessica from the Fioneers defines Slow FI and has designed a life she loves.
Jessica is a Co-Founder of The Fioneers, an award-winning financial independence blog focused on the intersection between financial independence and lifestyle design. The couple has worked in non-profits for most of their careers. They found themselves caught in the cycle of living for the weekend and knew they needed to make a change, but they weren’t interested in the ideas of self-deprivation and extreme frugality that many people associate with the FIRE movement. They discovered that there is another way to live through the conception of financial independence and Slow FI.
After leaving her 9-5 to pursue entrepreneurship, Jessica is now a writer and lifestyle design coach who provides coaching and courses on career discovery and lifestyle design for people who want to take unconventional paths and design lives they love. You can follow The Fioneers on Twitter and Instagram, and join their Slow FI Enthusiasts Facebook Group at TheFioneers.com/fb.
In Episode 84, Jessica talks about:
- Slow FI— the Fioneers have actually popularized this concept. As a reminder, FIRE, or financial independence retire early, is the practice of pursuing financial independence from a traditional 9 to 5 job through wealth-building and saving habits. Jessica breaks slow FI down as the practice of designing your ideal life and living it now, rather than sometime in the future. She says:
Slow FI is the approach to financial independence that is focused on the journey—because the journey is as remarkable as the destination.
– Jessica, The Fioneers
- What scarcity mindset can look like— do you ever feel like you aren’t deserving of your wealth? Of your high (or even just decent!) salary? This is scarcity mindset. Half the battle is having a livable wage. The next piece is trusting and loving ourselves enough to take care of our future financial selves. For Jessica, working through her own scarcity mindset has been crucial to her financial journey. Listen to hear about some of her steps.
- Work as part of the life that we choose— an assumption of the FIRE movement is that the end goal is to no longer work. For some, that could be true. But this all depends on what your ideal life looks like. The end goal is financial independence, or having the freedom to do what you want. For Jessica and her husband, this looks like engaging in work that they are passionate about, not work they feel they have to do. The “retire early” part of “FIRE” doesn’t mean doing nothing for the rest of your life—unless that’s what you choose!
- Financial self care— we’ve talked about how financial self care doesn’t just mean “treat yourself” culture. Jessica affirms this, and also adds that, for her, this means knowing her numbers. Listen to the full episode to get more ideas for your own financial self care. If you’re starting at a complete zero, we also recommend these seven steps for understanding your personal finance situation.
Episode 84 with Jessica will leave you feeling inspired to make some changes pronto to your life. If you are not waking up everyday ready and excited for what’s to come, you are missing out on the journey. Remember, pursuing financial independence does not mean you have to be miserable! Listen to this full episode to remind yourself of this.
Want to learn more about FIRE?
Check out our video training to learn the basics of FIRE and how to start your journey towards financial independence!
Check Out Our Podcast Episodes About FIRE
- Episode 76. How To Buy Back Your Freedom With FIRE | Jamila Souffrant, Journey To Launch
- Episode 69. How To Pursue FIRE As A Couple With Different Income Levels | Gay Husbands On FIRE
- Episode 58: How To Retire Early and Live An Intentional Life | A Purple Life
- Episode 31: Why Achieving Financial Independence Matters For Communities of Color | Julien and Kiersten Saunders of rich & REGULAR
Partners mentioned in this episode:
BetterHelp – Professional Support When You Need It, At The Fraction Of The Cost Of In-Person Therapy. Get 10% off your first month!
M1 Finance – Investing, borrowing, and cash management in one easy-to-use platform. Open a Roth IRA for FREE!