When naming your business, clarity is more important than creativity. If there’s one thing you take away from this blog post, I hope it’s this! Here are 10 tips for naming your business!
Naming your business is a balancing act between making your name unique to help you stand out, and picking a name that incorporates keywords relevant to your business (so you have a better chance of showing up in search).
For Yo Quiero Dinero, we went with something unique, so we could build out our business around the personal finance space and not be boxed in by our name.
For our podcast, Yo Quiero Dinero: A Personal Finance Podcast For the Modern Latina, we consciously went with a subtitle name that had the words “Podcast”, “Personal Finance” & “Latina” in it, so when people searched for podcasts about personal finance for Latinas, our podcast would show up. Try Googling personal finance for Latinas and see what comes up!
Easy tips for naming your business:
- Think of words (both keywords and non-keywords) you might want to incorporate in your name
- Use the Shopify Business Name Generator to see what domains are available with those words. This is an incredible tool.
- Once you have some ideas for names, search them in Google
- This will give you a feel for the competitive landscape of the name
- You also want to make sure there aren’t other businesses with very similar names
- If you are planning to use keywords in your name, plug the keywords into Moz’s Keyword Explorer to see how many people are searching for those words
- To optimize your name for SEO, what you’re looking for is keywords with high search volume but not a lot of competitors
- Think about using alliteration in your name so it’s easier for people to remember you, like characters in superhero movies: Peter Parker, Lois Lane, Lex Luther
- The fewer the syllables, the better. Even though Yo Quiero Dinero has four syllables, it’s made up of three easy words with only one or two syllables each
- Please no creative spelling! Spell it like it sounds. You don’t want to put any barriers between you and people searching for you.
Things you should NOT do when naming your business:
- Do not try to be too cute or too clever
- Do not copy an existing brand’s name or try to come up with a ripoff name. You’ll lose credibility and look kinda spammy.
- Don’t make your name too general, so you can’t own it in search. You definitely want to show up first when people search for you.
Our final piece of advice:
- Test out your name with friends and family. There’s wisdom in the masses so don’t just trust only yourself on this. Get that name out in the world and see how people respond to it!
Naming your business is important, it represents the essence of what you’re building and sharing with the world! Follow these tips and you’ll be well on your way to creating a powerful brand.
WANT TO KICKSTART YOUR FINANCIAL JOURNEY?
*This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you. This helps us provide you with free content, like this blog! You can read my full disclaimer here: https://yoquierodineropodcast.com/policy